Monday, April 06, 2015

Mazarins - Mazariner

MAZARINS
Mazariner


My all-time favorite Swedish pastry. Whenever I'm in a coffee shop, I buy a mazarin.

Makes 18 mazarins


You need a basic pastry dough to work with, so let’s start with that.


4 oz butter or margarine
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 1/3 cups sifted flour



Cream the butter and sugar. Stir in the egg yolk, add flour and work the dough by hand until smooth and well blended.



Pastry shells:
Basic pastry dough as above


Filling:
4 oz butter or margarine
1/4 cup sugar
8 oz almond paste
3 eggs
1/4 cup sifted flour


Frosting (but I would rather call it glazing!):
1 cup powdered sugar
approx 2 tablespoons water




Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare the pastry dough as above and shape into a long log, which you cut in 18 pieces. Press each piece into a buttered muffin tin to coat bottom and sides.


To make the filling, beat butter, sugar and almond paste until creamy and lump-free. Then add the eggs while beating, one at a time. Stir in the flour and blend well. Spoon the filling into the lined muffin tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then gently unfold. (That’s the hardest part in my opinion, I’ve invented many new “bad words” during this critical moment.)


Stir the powdered sugar for the glazing with water to make a thin glaze; spread on top of the pastries while still slightly warm. Or simply sift with powdered sugar (but that’s a no-no for me, I want the glazing!). Serve the mazarins warm or at room temperature.


Enjoy!


Bella


No comments:

Post a Comment