Saturday, August 08, 2015

Beef and onion stew - Kött- och lökgryta

BEEF AND ONION STEW
Kött- och lökgryta

A stew is always practical – just put it on the table and let everyone help themselves to as much as they want! (With me, that would be fatal as there wouldn’t be enough for the others if I didn’t restrain myself. My grandmother always said: "Eat until you're ashamed of yourself!" meaning I shouldn't eat too much, but that was completely wasted on me, because I never felt ashamed of myself.)

4 servings

1 to 1 1/3 lbs boneless beef
1 red onion
8 shallots
6 oz fresh mushrooms
½ red bell pepper
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup red wine
2/3 cup meat bouillon
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
¾ teaspoon salt
black pepper

Cut the meat in pieces. Chop the red onion and split the shallots if they’re large. Slice the mushrooms and cut the bell pepper in rings. Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the meat, little by little, until coloured. Transfer to a pot.

Sizzle onions and mushrooms for 3 to 5 minutes and add it to the pot. Add sweet pepper and flour, then wine, bouillon, tomato purée, thyme, bay leaf, salt and black pepper and simmer on low heat, covered, for 1 to 1½ hours.

Flavour to taste with salt and pepper. You can substitute the wine with bouillon if you wish, and also flavour the dish with 1 to 2 crushed garlic cloves.

Serve and enjoy!

Bella





No comments:

Post a Comment