Wednesday, May 06, 2015

The fantastic mazarin cake - Den fantastiska mazarinkakan

THE FANTASTIC MAZARIN CAKE
Den fantastiska mazarinkakan

This is a recipe from Åsa Ädelholm, a woman who has the most fantastic food blog (in Swedish). I made this cake and since then I’ve made it about 200 times, I think – both for ourselves and for chorus, extended family and friends. She has graciously allowed me to share the recipe and picture and now you have the possibility of making this delicacy. :-D I’m happy for you! It is SO good!

Makes 1 cake

6 oz butter or margarine
2½ oz almond paste
1 egg
4 drops bitter almond essence (be careful!)
2/3 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 ¼ cup flour
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder

Raspberry cover:
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup, slightly more raspberry jam
(I use ordinary jam, not marmalade, since
it’s stirred with the powdered sugar)


Heat the oven to 300F. Grease and flour a round baking pan – I use a springform pan with a diameter of  about 10 inches.

Melt the fat and set aside. Grate the almond paste and make sure it doesn’t form one single huge lump. Beat the egg with almond essence and milk in a bowl. Add sugar, almond paste, flour, vanilla sugar and baking powder while stirring.

Stir in the melted fat and pour the batter in the pan. Bake in the lower part of the oven for about 35 to 50 minutes, depending on what kind of oven you have (I don’t have a convection oven). Allow to cool.

Stir the powdered sugar well with the raspberry jam and spread it over the surface when the cake is cool enough – it gets runny if the cake is too warm.

Store in the fridge, it’s best that way in my opinion.

Enjoy!

Bella


No comments:

Post a Comment